|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval ridge and furrow and multi-period finds from between Hall Wood and Pepper Lane|
Parchmarks of medieval ridge and furrow can be seen on an aerial photograph. Fieldwalking as part of the Fenland Survey recovered prehistoric worked flints and fragments of Roman and medieval pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6336 9735|
|Parish:||HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
22 June 1975. Ordnance Survey air photography.
Parchmark cropmarks. Ridge and furrow.
D. Voisey (NLA), 6 March 1995.
8 January 1987. Fenland fieldwalking.
Young cereal, weathered soil.
Odd sherds, ?medieval and occasional flint.
Archive says Roman sherds.
R. Silvester (NAU), 8 January 1987.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see (S1).
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. HLG AA. FENS. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-209. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: OS 75-269-210. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
Related records - none
Find out more...