|Type of record:||Monument|
Tibenham Airfield has been used since 1941 - first as a base for the United States Army Air Force, then as a Ministry of Food depot and then again by the United States Army Air Force. It was closed in 1959 and has been used as a glider field since then. The control tower was demolished in 1978.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 144 890|
|Parish:||ASLACTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|BUNWELL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|TIBENHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1941-45. United States Army Air Force.
1945. Ferry base.
1946-52. Ministry of Food Depot.
1955-57. United States Army Air Force standby.
1959. Closed since when a glider field.
Control tower demolished 1978.
E. Rose (NAU) 22 January 1987.
Site formerly confused with NHER 13628.
For further information on the operational history of the airfield and photographs of remaining buildings, see (S2).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 January 2010.
- CONTROL TOWER (World War Two to Late 20th Century - 1942 AD to 1978 AD)
- MILITARY AIRFIELD (World War Two to Mid 20th Century - 1942 AD to 1959 AD)
- FOOD DEPOT (Mid 20th Century - 1946 AD to 1952 AD)
- AIRFIELD (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1959 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. A passion to unearth flying history. 9 January. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Norfolk's spooky past. 27 October. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: 1973. Airfields of Norfolk and Suffolk. Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. Part 4. |
|<S2>||Monograph: McKenzie, R.. 2004. Ghost Fields of Norfolk. pp 106-107. |
|60838||Parent of: Stanton air raid shelter (Monument)|
|60839||Parent of: Stanton air raid shelter (Monument)|
Find out more...