Record Details

NHER Number:2319
Type of record:Building
Name:Priory of St Mary and St Nicholas


This is the site of a medieval Augustinian priory dedicated to St Mary and St Nicholas, which was founded before 1260 and dissolved in 1538. Abbey House dates mainly to the 18th century, and incorporates some elements of the medieval priory buildings. The south range of the house has 13th or 14th century arched doorways, and was perhaps part of the domestic range of the priory, or the priory church. In the 1950s an extensive area of earthworks, and some standing masonry, were observed in a field next to Abbey House, but the field has subsequently been ploughed, and the earthworks are no longer visible.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7963 2299
Map Sheet:TF72SE

Full description

Augustinian Canons, pre 1260 to 1538.
Later a hospital and cell of Westacre.
Abbey House, listed grade II, is a late 18th/early 19th century building that incorporates 13th/14th century arches and walling and may well be a conversion of the transepts and crossing of the priory church.
Reused stone in walled garden.
A few lumps in 18th/19th century farm buildings on possible site of claustral buildings.
Field to west where foundations, and earthworks reported in 1950s are now under plough and not scheduled according to [1] despite implication from Department of Environment in 1984 that it was given no. 230.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 February 1988.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RAF. RAF 76/TUD/UK/50.
---Monograph: Page, W. (ed.). 1906. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 2. pp 386-387.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 SE 9.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. 18 January.
---Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 140, 157.
---Publication: P. R. O. London, Rentals and Surveys. Part 1, XXIV. part 1 XXIV p.4. p 4.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Massingham (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: EGK 3-5.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service