|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Flaxlands Farm House|
This medieval timber-framed hall house has medieval origins. A chimney and floor were added during the 17th century and further alterations were made in the 19th and 20th centuries. During renovation work in 1986 a 17th century token was found in a crack in a fireplace.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1041 9290|
|Parish:||CARLETON RODE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
On Ordnance Survey map on King Street, in (S1) on Rode Lane.
1981 and 1986.
(S1) describes as 17th century but (S2) by  suggests medieval open hall with smoke bay; upper floor and stack inserted as shown by position of stack away from beams; tiebeams cut for upper doors, and windows at upper floor level. These alterations probably 17th century and this is only phase visible on exterior, hence listing. Other 19th to 20th century alterations.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 December 1986.
September 1986. Found in crack in bressumer of recently re-exposed fireplace.
Wolf Lauffer token about 1618 to 1660.
Information from member of the public .
W. Milligan (NCM), 1986.
Record removed from parish file to NHER 23160, January 1997.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Margham, J.. 1986. Flaxlands Farm House. July. |
Related records - none
Find out more...