Record Details

NHER Number:23028
Type of record:Building
Name:Barton Hall

Summary

A mid 18th century brick house, built in 1742, with classical architectural details, and altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. The nearby coach house, also built in 1742, is also decorated with classical details, including a pediment and niches.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3544 2228
Map Sheet:TG32SE
Parish:BARTON TURF, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Hall of 1742 with south front late 19th century and east front 1935.
Brick, partly plastered to imitate ashlar. Roof of plain and pantiles. East façade 2 storeys and dormer attic in 3 bays. Central bay wider and projecting below pediment. Roman Doric doorcase with freestanding and attached pilasters supporting bay width entablature; rusticated quoins to bay. Console eaves cornice. Semicircular window in pediment. Hipped roof, 2 gabled dormers. 2 symmetrical ridge stacks and 4 dormers. West façade 7 bays 2 storeys, central 3 bays projecting under pediment. Sash windows; string course and cornice continue. Another 2 symmetrical stacks. Square entrance hall leads to passage and staircase, latter dogleg with square newels and iron twist bannisters.
To north east coachman's house of 1742. Brick and black pantiles. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Central 3 bays project under pediment. Central door with fanlight and open pediment on pilasters, all gault brick with an arched niche to each side. Above these are two window aprons but no windows. Diocletian window in pediment. Side bays have tall ground floor casements with five vaned overlights and gault brick arches extending into platbands. Hipped roof, 2 stacks on rear slope.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 31 October 1986.

Further north, as still listed as curtilage but not described, is Hall Cottage or Gardeners Cottage.
(S2) in file show a hipped roof building of brickwork probably contemporary with the 1742 development, but with several altered doors and windows and the central section rebuilt to form either a huge blocked archway or else a relieving arch.
E. Rose (NLA), 1 October 2004.

Monument Types

  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG3522/E - H, J - M.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TG 3521B.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service