|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Holme Hale Hall|
This early 19th century rendered brick house is built on the core of an earlier 16th to 17th century building. This earlier building is marked on Faden's map of Norfolk made in 1797. There have also been later early 19th century symmetrical extensions to the house on either side of the original block. There is also an early 19th century brick stable block and coach house. The whole of the present exterior may have been built by Robert Farrand in 1820.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9012 0798|
|Parish:||HOLME HALE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Early 19th century on 16th to 17th century core; later 19th to 20th century additions. Rendered brick scored to imitate ashlar; slate roofs. Single pile original block with symmetrical side bay additions, plus billiard room to east; rear service adjuncts. Original two storeys and attics. Symmetrical facade five bays, French windows on ground floor. Central open Doric porch with Regency iron balcony on top. Wide bracketed eaves. Three pedimented dormers. Parapet gables and end stacks. Early 18th century side additions, pedimented, fenestration similar to original block; straight hoodmoulds. West facade of west addition of three bays with large central canted bay-window. Rear facade pedimented.
Listed grade II.
Stable block and coach house, early 19th century; brick with gault brick cornices. Two storeys; seven bay symmetrical facade with two coach entrances at ends and inserted 20th century cart entrance. Ground floor windows in round headed recessed arches; first floor windows (two blind) in segmental arches; slightly advanced gabled centre bay with oculus. Dentilled cornice, hipped roof with central bellcote.
Listed grade II.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 29 October 1986.
August 1993. Visit but not all of building seen.
A hall is marked on (S2); the owner believes the room to each side of the present entrance is 16th century but there is no visible evidence of any pre-19th century date here. He believes the whole of the present exterior was built by Robert Farrand in 1820, though (S3) states that Farrand 'built the hall about 12 years ago'. Possibly statement in (S1) that pedimented blocks are early 18th century additions is a misprint for 'early 19th century'. Building formerly had a cast iron veranda and eaves balustrade as shown on old photographs. The rear elevation shows that the section east of the centre block has had its upper floor apparently added to an older ground floor but there is no other visible evidence of pre 19th century work. The stable block has the date 1922 picked out in red pantiles amongst the blue glazed tiles, and it is said that there were large demolitions between the hall and the stables in 1948.
E. Rose (NLA) 1 September 1993.
October 2010. Planning Application.
Z. Dack, (HES), 18 January 2011.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval to Unknown - 1801 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval to Unknown - 1801 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9007 D-J,F-J. |
|---||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF 9007K, N. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Evans, C.. 1993. Plans. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. 20111306. |
|44023||Related to: Holme Hale Hall Park (Monument)|
Find out more...