Record Details

NHER Number:22735
Type of record:Building
Name:Hall Cottage and Old Hall Barn, ex Hall Farm.

Summary

A 17th century brick lobby-entrance cottage with later alterations. The nearby brick and flint barn also dates to the 17th century with 18th and 19th century extensions and alterations.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1525 3488
Map Sheet:TG13SE
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

November 1986. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Cottage 17th century red brick. English bond. Now asbestos roof. Lobby entrance, 4 bays, 2 storey and attic. Off centre axial stack (rebuilt). Flint plinth with brick cap except bay 4 which has brick plinth. Narrow 17th century bricks at base of walls, upper parts later. Dentilled cornice. Flint plinths to gable walls. Late windows and doors but upper window 4th bay blocked with laths and daub, one window on each floor right hand gable blocked in daub but retaining wooden frames and mullions beneath brick hoodmoulds.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 15 July 1986.

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Barn 17th to 18th century. Coursed flint, brick dressings, pantiled, 5 bays. Additional 3 bays in brick to east, 18th century. 5 west bays have central south opening with porch wider than bay. West gable wall flint to eaves, brick above, two platbands, blocked upper opening and owl hole. 3 tier butt purlin roof with 2 tiers collars, tiebeams, windbraces above highest purlins; 19th century queenposts to lower purlins. East gable in brick with 3 honeycombe airvents, MR in clampirons (both gables have modern doors). Roof of three eastern bays have staggered purlins, some windbraces and collars. Many 19th century struts etc. Central south opening to leanto. 19th century outbuildings. Yard wall to west of flint with diagonal headers.
Information from (S1).

Architects plans (1996) in file.

Listed as Hall Farm, but these buildings are now (2007) named Hall Cottage and Old Hall Barn, the name Hall Farm being used for the outbuildings north of the demolished Hall.
E. Rose (NLA), 2007.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LOBBY ENTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049183 and 1304551.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service