Record Details

NHER Number:22734
Type of record:Building
Name:Garibaldi Cottage


A brick cottage built in 1860. The cottage has a half-timbered projecting bay bearing the inscription 'BUILT IN YE YEAR THAT GARIBALDI ROSE TO FREE ITALIA FROM HER FOREIGN FOES'. The cottage also has a carved wooden statue of Garibaldi on a corner post and bargeboards decorated with guns and pheasants.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1522 3558
Map Sheet:TG13NE

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Keepers cottage 1860, plaintiled with fishscale patterns. L-shaped, 1 storey and attic. Half timbered jettied attic on projecting bay with inscription onbressumer BVILT IN YE YEAR THAT GARIBALDI ROSE/TO FREE ITALIA FROM HER FOREIGN FOES. Barge boards on arched braces carved with Garibaldi landing at Palerno and Victor Emmanuele greeting Garibaldi. Upper spandrels have shields with ITM for John Thomas Mott, and crescent; wrought iron finial of rose, shamrock, thistle and estoile (Mott Arms). Corner post with statue of Garibaldi 1861 and IL LIBERATORE DELL ITALIA. Door to right under windows between studs. East facade; gable to right as on main front bargeboard carved with
guns and pheasants, similar wrought iron finial with ITM instead of etoile. North and west sides with brick pilaster strips and external stacks with 4 hexagonal linked shafts.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 14 July 1986.

Monument Types

  • ESTATE COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 379.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049181.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service