Record Details

NHER Number:22726
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Parsonage House and tithe barn

Summary

A 17th century flint and brick house, with a 19th century cross wing, formerly used as a rectory. The nearby brick tithe barn dates from the 18th century, and was used as a school from 1760 to 1825.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 092 345
Map Sheet:TG03SE
Parish:EDGEFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Tithe barn, 18th century.
Brick and pantile, gable parapets. To road are large offcentre doorway, six square honeycombe vents, blocked door and window. Oversailing eaves. Gables have honeycombe vents. South has in square 1 lozenge, North has 1 lozenge. Rear has large door partly blocked in flint, varied brickwork and shaped brick buttress. North part was used as a school between 1760 and 1825.
See (S1) and (S2).
The house is listed in (S2) as 17th century with crosswing of 1830.
Flint with brick dressings; lobby entrance to central stack, 2 storeys.
E. Rose (NAU) 9 July 1986.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 454.
<S1>Monograph: Marcon, W.H.. 1926. Reminiscences of a Norfolk Country Parson.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service