|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Late Upper Palaeolithic to Mesolithic worked flint and Iron Age/Roman and Roman pottery|
In 1985 a number of finds were recovered in material dredged from this location. These included Late Upper Palaeolithic/Early Mesolithic worked flints, an Early Mesolithic flint microlith and single sherds of Late Iron Age/Roman and Roman pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 325 899|
|Parish:||EARSHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1985. Stray Finds.
Objects recovered within dredgings from River Waveney on Outney Common, Bungay (TM 3252 8998):
1 Upper Palaeolithic/Early Mesolithic flint blade (120mm long) and 1 burin on small flake (resharpened). These objects were initially identified as Mesolithic on (S1), but are listed as Late Upper Palaeolithic in (S2).
1 Mesolithic obliquely blunted pointed microlith. Form suggests Early Mesolithic. See similar examples from Thatcham, Star Carr, Kelling etc.
1 Roman greyware pottery sherd.
1 ?Roman pottery sherd. Coarse gritty base, ?wheel made. Probably Roman but could be Iron Age.
Flints identified by J. J. Wymer (NAU) and pottery by A. Gregory (NAU). Information from (S1).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 January 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Upper Palaeolithic to Early Mesolithic - 40000 BC to 7001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC? to 409 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BLADE (Upper Palaeolithic to Early Mesolithic - 40000 BC to 7001 BC)
- BURIN (Upper Palaeolithic to Early Mesolithic - 40000 BC to 7001 BC)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 10000 BC to 4001 BC)
- POT (Late Iron Age to Roman - 100 BC? to 409 AD?)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Robins, P. and Wymer, J. 2006. Late Upper Palaeolithic (Long Blade) Industries in Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt I pp 86-95. p 94. |
Related records - none
Find out more...