|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Nelson Cottage, High Street|
An early 17th century house, with later alterations. The house was originally timber framed, which was replaced with brick in the 18th century. The house has 17th century windows, and a staircase.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6847 0637|
|Parish:||FINCHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
April 1985. Listed, Grade II.
Three houses in L shaped block. c.1600. Timber framed, replaced by brick in 18th century. West wall of carstone with Barnack quoins. Pantiled roofs. West wall of south range with one 3-light diamond mullion window within sunk quadrant surround. South range of 2 storeys with central panelled door. One 3-light casement left and right under segmental arches. 3 flat-headed casements to first floor. Gabled roof with rebuilt multiple flued diamond stacks. East range of 2 storeys and dormer attic. 2 doorways and 8 windows of scattered disposition and type, but including 4 17th century leaded casements. 4 flat dormers in gabled roof, hipped to south. Rebuilt ridge stack and wall stack. Interior of eastern part (Nelson House) retains winder staircase, bridging beams with ogee stops. One pair jointed crucks survive at first floor. Roof now early 18th century with one tier staggered and one tier butt purlins.
Information from (S1).
Building located and reused quoins confirmed by E. Rose (NAU) 27 November 1985.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 338. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342337. |
Related records - none
Find out more...