|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Striped Cottage, Broadmoor Road|
This timber framed and thatched medieval hall house was built around 1500 as an open hall with a two storey service end. The stack and second floor were added above the hall in the late 16th or early 17th century and later a second stack was inserted into the service room. Further changes were made in the 18th century when the building was divided into two properties. A single storey clay lump extension was added in the 19th century. The building has now been demolished.
|Grid Reference:||TF 9515 0195|
|Parish:||CARBROOKE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
House, probably a medieval hall house, floored and stack inserted in 17th century. Listed grade II, but in state of collapse and probably to be demolished.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 July 1989.
Grid reference corrected.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 June 1990.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 240. |
|---||Photograph: 1989. Striped Cottage, Carbrooke. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: EXN 12. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...