Record Details

NHER Number:21480
Type of record:Building
Name:Fen Farm, Fen Lane


This timber framed wattle and daub, thatched farmhouse was built around 1500 as an open hall. The first floor was added in the 17th century. It now has two storeys and an attic. There is a long brick and pantile 19th century extension. Inside is an open brick fireplace.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0464 9154
Map Sheet:TM09SW

Full description

Note this is not the house called Fen Farm on (S1), which is now Poplar Farm, but building to west.

Around 1500 timber framed with wattle and daub, thatched roof. Open hall, floored in 17th century. Now two storey and attic. Long brick and pantile 19th century outshut. One two-light plain chamfered mullioned upper window. Left of centre ridge stack. West gable wall in brick on ground floor. Modern outshuts obscure rear. Main room has bridging beam with 17th century tongue stops, also on joists. Open Flemish bond brick fireplace with bressumer. Winder staircase by stack. Heavy studwork and middle rail. Four-centred door in first floor east room and corner tension bracing. Arched braces to tiebeam. Replaced queen struts in roof, collars, clasped purlins, ridge piece, windbracing. Ground floor east room has recent close studding but sillbeam and midwall rail mortises show original was identical.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 20 June 1985.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service