|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint tools and multi-period pottery|
Prehistoric flint implements, and pottery dating from the Middle Saxon to the post medieval periods, found by fieldwalking.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6098 0207|
|Parish:||DENVER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
5 and 11 March 1985.
Fieldwalking, Downham Market Southern Bypass.
Context 1. Unweathered ploughsoil.
1 base, 1 sherd sandy Ipswich plus another possible sherd.
2 sherds medieval unglazed.
3 grey sandy sherds undated.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) June 1985.
25 April 1985. Further finds.
1 base, 2 sherds sandy Ipswich.
2 sherds, dark grey, slightly gritty Middle Saxon?
2 Thetford type jar rims.
6 sherds probably Thetford.
5 sherds medieval unglazed.
1 sherd glazed Grimston.
1 rim, 1 base glazed red earthenware.
2 sherds West Norfolk bichrome.
A. Rogerson (NAU)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Bronze Age find on bypass. 1 October. |
Related records - none
Find out more...