Record Details

NHER Number:2121
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman building

Summary

Fieldwalking and metal detecting has recovered a range of Roman finds from this site including pottery and building material fragments, coins, part of a millstone and a copper alloy mount in the form of a dolphin. The amount of material recovered suggests this was the site of a Roman building.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 94 34
Map Sheet:TF93SW
Parish:GREAT SNORING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1957.
Roman sherds (including Samian) and tile.

February and April 1958.
Floor tile fragments, sandstone quern and iron slag. 'Flints' roof tile and Samian. Undated iron hammerhead.

1958.
Three coarseware sherds from here found in a box left by C. J. S. Green (NCM).

1969.
Fragment of upper millstone found.

1980.
Roman coin found. See list in file.
Identified by T. Gregory (NAU).

Winter 1987 to 1988. Metal detecting and surface finds.
Roman coins. See list in file.
Dozen sherds of Roman coarse pottery and one sherd of Samian.
Roman copper alloy dolphin shaped mount.
See details in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 October 1990.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HAMMER (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • MILLSTONE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Snoring (Great) [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service