|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Great Hockham Hall|
This brick house with a slate roof was built in 1702 by Philip Ryley. It has two storeys and an attic in five bays. The central late 18th century porch has Tuscan columns. To the west is a 19th century two storey extension. Outbuildings to the west of the house include a thatched 19th century thatched game larder and stables. In 1590 an old document marks a barn, possibly a monastic tithe barn, at this site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9498 9195|
|Parish:||HOCKHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
13 May 1994. NLA air photography.
Series of photos taken showing Hockham Hall and associated service buildings.
S. Massey (NLA), 6 February 2001.
(S1) describes as early 18th century brick and slate roof, two storey and attic in five bays. Central late 18th century porch with Tuscan columns and colonettes, latter fluted and reeded. Heavy cornice. Windows mid 19th century. Hipped roof with three dormers, outer ones pedimented, central segmental. South front similar. Late 19th century two storey west extension.  notes; at rear of property is the mark of a gable against the wall, and one much altered and so
undatable wall of the outbuilding to which it belonged. Owner believes this to be monastic tithe barn. Certainly in 1590 a barn alone is recorded on this site, which was called Hall Place even though the Hall was then on site NHER 21179, not here.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 February 1985.
Further information from  - at rear of property is also an older, ?17th century house now attached - a pre-Hall farm house? Cluniac Priory of Thetford certainly held the rectory here.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 February 1985.
(S3) by  (in file) shows wall of 'barn' now with niches for statues introduced; flint with brick quoins and details. Latter do not look medieval but would need to be examined in detail. Mark of gable against house wall looks like a bell gable in outline and does not seem to predate house - but again photo could be deceptive.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 March 1985.
Fragments of medieval tracery standing on lawn of hall are in fact recent imports from Lancashire by .
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 30 January 1986.
According to (S4) the house was built in 1702 by Philip Ryley.
19 August 1996. Site visited.
(S1) is correct. Original house slightly L-shaped, east front projecting slightly north, 19th century stair turret and infill in angle.The two-storey west extension mentioned has a single storey billiard room at south end, otherwise as listed with brick facing to west, flint and brick wall to north. This is apparently what  thought was a 17th century house but is clearly 19th century. The 'barn' is set against this - the gable mark is straight, not bell - but the west wall of the extension was clearly formed around the pre-existing 'barn' gable. This gable contains unfired bricks. An old photograph show the 'barn' as a two storeyed block with windows - the niches seen on the photograph are modern infillings of the ground floor windows. Below these on south (exterior) elevation is a brick string course and below this a row of infilled rectangular windows blocked in knapped flint about 1m x 1.5m each. Present ground level much higher on exterior than on former interior. Build of wall is flint, random brick, reused stone fragments with brick quoins that might be early post medieval, but more probably are local crude 18th/19th century. It is certain that it was not a barn and not medieval but it predates the 19th century addition to the house. Outbuildings to west include thatched 19th century game larder, and stables retaining wood and iron stall divisions, mangers etc. marked 'HAYWOOD SONS AND ECKERSTEIN' (?). Above each stall is a metal horse's name plate. These buildings have more stone fragments in the
walls. One ornamented column survives in gardens of the Lancashire imports, left by previous owner.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 August 1996.
Proposed erection of a new orangery within the walled garden on the site of a former greenhouse (demolished).
See (S5) for further information
H. White (NLA) 7 January 2009
- TITHE BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GAME LARDER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL9492 A,B,C-H. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL 94 91 A-D, TL 94 92 J. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Designation: Listed Building Consent. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. A little bit of Norfolk history goes for auction. 14 July. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 409. |
|---||Photograph: Photographic record of staircase in Gt Hockham Hall. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342422. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: 1599. Extent of Manor. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Davison, A.. Great Hockham Hall. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Thetford Investments Limited. 2008. Design and Access Statement, Proposed New Orangery, Great Hockham Hall. |
|30503||Parent of: Great Hockham Park (Monument)|
Find out more...