|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period pottery and iron key|
Fragments of pottery dating from the Late Saxon to the post medieval periods and an iron key of unknown date, found in 1984.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7961 2316|
|Parish:||GREAT MASSINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Late 1984. Finds from contractors trench north side lane north of monastic site.
Many large sherds.
21 unglazed, predominantly Grimston-Thetford including storage jars, 1 bowl rim early medieval similar to Blackborough End, and 1 jar rim early medieval of frilled Castleacre type.
22 glazed Grimston, 1 glazed red earthenware, 1 Frechen stoneware, 1 iron key with hollow shank.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) January 1985
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...