Record Details

NHER Number:2112
Type of record:Building
Name:Wolterton Manor House

Summary

Excellent early Tudor house and free standing gatehouse built between 1520 and 1530 and restored between 1920 and 1938. The decorative brickwork on both buildings includes the Royal coat of arms, griffins, lions and greyhounds. Local legend says that Henry VIII stayed here when he went on pilgrimage to Walsingham.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9172 3391
Map Sheet:TF93SW
Parish:BARSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Built by Fermor around 1520-1530, restored between 1920 and 1938. Gatehouse is two-storeyed with polygonal buttresses, closely panelled. Stone jambs to arch continued by terracotta or brick ogee head. Royal arms above carved out of brickwork, griffin and lion supporters (post-1527). Three light window above arch; battlements and pinnacles. Similar arch towards house. Projecting chimneybreast on east shows the gatehouse was always freestanding. Part of garden of wall survives. House itself has façade with battlements and 8 polygonal buttresses with finials. Moulded brick friezes. Entrance porch with flint and stone chequered buttresses, stone arch and window which (S1) considers might be older, reused (not seen) and royal arms again carved in brick, griffin and greyhound supporters (pre-1527) - so gatehouse appears to be slightly later than house. East of entrance is a three-storeyed tower - was there another to the west? On the west is the Hall with large bay window, and beyond angle buttresses containing garderobe shaft. Group of ten chimneystacks each of differing type. Much of the west end is recent; east wall has been altered.
Interiors: (S1) notes original entrance arch and fireplace in hall, four centred arches and Jacobean chimneypiece in other rooms, brick vaulting in tower rooms.
E. Rose (NAU), October 1979.

Print by Repton shows that all of wing west of entrance was gone in his day! Only the ruined angle pilaster standing on its own. Three-storey tower to east joined with entrance by single-storey link. East of tower, two storeys and angle turret-pilaster.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 October 1982.

c.1525 (Gatehouse alone scheduled). Remainder listed Grade I.
For file.
E. Rose (NLA).

26 August 1997. NLA air photography.
Hall and gatehouse visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 29 March 2001.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF9133 B-D,E,F,G-H.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Historic Barsham on the Market. 11 May.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Tudor manor bids too low. 22 September.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Photograph of East Barsham Manor. 14 January.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1997. TF9133/J - W.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. An open secret - glorious gardens. 8 May.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Photograph of East Barsham Manor. 16 January.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. [unknown]. Photograph of East Barsham Manor. [unknown].
---Newspaper Article: The Times. 1966. Tudor Manor Sold. 28 April.
---Article in serial: 1924. East Barsham Manor House, Norfolk.. Country Life. 5 January, p1.
---Article in serial: 1905. Two Norfolk Manor Houses.. Country Life. 30 September, p1.
---Article in serial: N. Sargison. 1949. East Barsham Manor, Norfolk.. Country Life. 9 September, p1.
---Article in serial: Leslie Geddes-Brown. 2004. East Barsham Manor.. Country Life. 26 February, p4.
---Photograph: Wolterton Manor House, Barsham. Print.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Barsham.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: BMG 9.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service