|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||63 and 64 Bailey Street|
The remains of an impressive medieval flint and stone building, with a later timber framed house attached to the surviving medieval north wall, which had a corner tower. The function of the building is unknown, it may have been a pilgrims' hospice, or a fish house associated with a nearby medieval fishpond. Excavation in 2007 revealed many medieval and post medieval pottery sherds, window glass and a post medieval jetton.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8189 1494|
|Parish:||CASTLE ACRE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Massive medieval wall of flint and stone with shaped plinth forms the former north wall of a medieval building with a tower at the corner; possible pilgrims hostel or similar building.
Timber framed building of possible 17th century date replaced rest of house (no 64), massive stack possibly of either period.
No 63 added to north in 19th century.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 24 January 1985.
(S3) suggests that the building may have been a fish house connected with the Earl's Pond which lay to the east.
For finds from garden see NHER 50565.
Excavation in and outside house, before 12 June 2007.
Many medieval and some post medieval sherds, medieval and post medieval window glass, post medieval jetton.
Lists in file. Excavator will provide copy of records.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 8 June 2007.
2007. Further examination indicates, as suggested by the Listing, that the corner tower is in fact the end and return of the medieval fire-gable. It would appear the late 17th century timber frame has replaced an earlier timber frame. See extension to (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 June 2007.
Four photographs (S4) were taken of reinstated medieval elements of the house including the fireplace, a flint and stone wall, and a surviving distorted tie beam. The tie beam has one surviving queen post with the mortise for the other and may date to the 16th century.
Information from S. Heywood and (S4).
H. Hamilton (NLA), 17 July 2008.
December 2011. Observation.
Section of timber frame revealed to the south west of the original single cell building. It was originally an external wall now enclosed by a small extension. One principal post with mid rails jointed to it. Sole plate intact. Wattle & daub infill. Former doorway with chamfered reveal and lintel of greater than normal width. Only the left hand jamb and lintel revealed; therefore the full extent is not known but it probably terminates at the corner post. (see photos) Much more of the timber frame remains hidden beneath plaster. Although the timber frame is on a slightly different alignment than the plinth which supports it, it is probably contemporary with masonry gable-end.
The building is clearly of high status with a returned stack gable-end of knapped flint with brick headers and Barnack stone ashlar quoins, plinth and window reveal. It is just possible that it is medieval but certainly 16th-century and an example of the recognised type of small, single cell, high status buildings. In this case the occupant may have been an official employed by the estate. It is worthy of remark that the pair of lodgings (5268) is within a stone's throw of this house and these tiny houses had a similar status in the running of the Jacobean estate.
S. Heywood (HES), 15 December 2011
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISH HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- JETTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 251. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CQV21-26. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077682. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Liddiard, R.. 2000. Landscapes of Lordship. BAR British Series 309. |
|<S4>||Photograph: Heywood, S. 2008. 63 and 64 Bailey Street: Reinstated hearth and bressumer. PDF. |
|50565||Parent of: Multi-period finds scatter (Find Spot)|
Find out more...