|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Lavender House, Old Beams Restaurant|
A 17th century timber framed thatched building with later additions. Formerly a pub, it is now a restaurant.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3262 0842|
|Parish:||BRUNDALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Formerly the White Horse public house (but not the same as the inn of that name more recently standing further east).
17th century, timber frame and brick, thatched. One and a half storeys with later additions.
Two cell lobby entrance. Open brick fireplace with bressumer. Bridging beams chamfered with ogee stops. Winding stair against stack. Timber frame exposed on upper floor. 17th century coupled rafter roof.
Information from (S1). (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 November 1984.
House believed to have been built in 1540 and has no foundations and just sits on a sand base. A William of Orange shilling has been found in a bread oven beside the inglenook fireplace. The house was the original White Horse Public house in the parish.
'The Barn' next to The Lavender House was used as a canteen for the Royal Engineers during the Second World War.
See (S3) for further details.
L. Allison (NLA), 5 August 2010.
Grid reference amended from TG3303 0821 to current.
A. Yardy (HES), 18 September 2013.
- INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Brundall Local History Group. 2007. The Book of Brundall and Braydeston. |
Related records - none
Find out more...