Record Details

NHER Number:20953
Type of record:Building
Name:Barwick House and associated stable and carriage blocks

Summary

Barwick House is a mid 18th century great house that was altered at the rear in the 19th century. The stable block dates to 1742 and the carriage block to 1748. The whole complex was the work of the architect Robert Glover, whose name is inscribed on plaques on the buildings.There may have been an earlier house on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 804 359
Map Sheet:TF83NW
Parish:BARWICK, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

House is mid 18th century altered at rear 19th century. Red brick header bond façade, black glazed pantile roof. Two storeys three bays. Double pile, south façade with four brick giant pilasters with moulded brick capitals and entablature blocks. Central 19th century porch. Eaves cornice broken forward over pilasters. Hipped roof with three original dormers, two central ridge stacks with stone imposts and blank arches. 19th century bow window to east and other additons to north-east.

Stable block, 1742, English bond chequered brickwork; two storeys six bays; two bay centre; single outer bays, and two broken forward cart entrance bays with semi- dormer gables. Cart entrances with keystones now part blocked up. Gables have brick arches. Brick grilles to rear.

Carriage block dated 1748. Similar build, two storeys, five bays with ground floor arched openings (two bricked up). Windows and grilles above. Blank arches to gables. Rear with outshuts, one in galletted flint. Whole complex is work of Robert Glover as inscribed on plaques.
Inf from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 27 November 1984.

See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 July 2004.

(S3) says that the date 1742 applies to the house as well as the stables and that it replaces an earlier house on the site.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 November 2004.

Monument Types

  • COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8035 J-M,N-P,Q-W..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
<S3>Verbal Communication: Williamson, T.. Unknown.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service