|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of leper hospital and Baverstock House|
A leper hospital was founded on this site before 1486 or in 1492 and was dissolved in 16th century. Baverstock House, a former police station, was built in the 17th century on the same site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9340 3689|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of leper hospital (Ordnance Survey).
Founded pre 1486 (S1) or 1492 (S2). Dissolved in 16th century.
15 January 1980. Visit.
No apparent remains; Baverstock House (former police station), a 17th century jettied building with later outbuildings entered by an ironbound door, stands on site.
E. Rose (NAU).
The northern extension of this building has a 19th century street façade but incorporating a genuine plaque 1682 with initials. Does this relate to Baverstock House or does it come from elsewhere? (seen Sept 1995).
E. Rose (NLA), 13 June 2007.
- LEPER HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsingham (Little). |
|<S1>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 335, 400. |
|<S2>||Publication: Taylor, R. C. 1821. Index Monasticus. |
Related records - none
Find out more...