Record Details

NHER Number:2057
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of All Saints' and St Mary's Church, Great Walsingham

Summary

The site of medieval All Saints' and St Mary's Church inside a rectangular enclosure can be seen on aerial photographs as earthworks and negative cropmarks. It has been suggested that there was also an earlier, perhaps Late Saxon, church to the north of this structure but evidence for this cannot be seen on the aerial photographs. The medieval church was demolished in 1552.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9394 3777
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of All Saints' and St Mary's Church. Ordnance Survey.
(S1) notes foundations and says that to north stood another (Late Saxon?) church but gives no source for this surprising statement. Destroyed about 1552.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU).

1 May 1980.
Two parallel flint footings represent the north and south walls of the church. [1] suggests that it had a round tower.
Remains of flint churchyard wall act as revetment to hill slope on west and also remain as south footings. The close marked by Ordnance Survey to northeast also now remains only as flint footings under pasture. No trace of any further foundations to north.
E. Rose (NAU).

10 July 1975 Cambridge Committee for Aerial Photography aerial photographs.
Show negative crop marks of square tower, nave and ?side chapels with parched rectilinear enclosure according to [2]. Photos not seen.

St Josephs air photographs.
Reference BUE 58-60 of 10 July 1975. Best view BUE 59. Ordered 30 January 1984.
D. Edwards (NAU), 1 December 1982.

19 July 1991. NLA air photography.
Earthworks of church recorded, showing north and south walls, square west tower, and ill defined additional structure attached to north wall. Church is located within a rectangular enclosure which has a further short earthwork extending west from its west side.
M. Flitcroft (NLA), February 1993.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: St. Joseph AP's BUE 59; TF9337 F-AH.
---Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. p 152.
---(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsingham (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service