|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval moated enclosures and fishponds|
A medieval moated enclosure with some flint masonry and incomplete building outlines can be seen. This may be the site of a medieval chapel. A further ditched enclosure to the south and associated medieval fishponds have also been surveyed.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9419 3906|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Chapel' Ordnance Survey. Not a chapel, but moated site with remains of drawbridge structure.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
(S1) states there is a record in 1548 of their being a chapel here, its founder and purpose being unknown. They suggest it may have been in a moated house.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 4 June 1990.
13 May 1980. Visit.
Clearly defined moat, now dry and grassed over on three sides the fourth being a backwater of the Stiffkey. Along east side central island a retaining wall of mortared flint, with a recess, presumably the drawbridge pit mentioned. Above these are foundations of two rooms or towers, one at each side of the drawbridge but western one set back more than the eastern one. No foundations on remainder of island; sherd of green glazed Grimston ware found in molehill, and mollusc shell.
E. Rose (NAU).
November 1995. Earthwork survey.
Moat, revetting and building remains in southeast corner surveyed at 1:1000. Plan also includes probable related rectangular enclosure to south with rather less clearly related enclosure and linear features to west, extending to old watercourse channel and bank. Site extended into Great Walsingham parish.
See report (S2) for further details and copy of plan (S3). The results of this work are also summarised in (S4).
B. Cushion (NLA) November 1995.
Including some of the earthworks. Includes fishponds.
See (S5) and (S6) for further information.
E. Rose (NLA) 24 June 1998.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
- WATERCOURSE (Unknown date)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOWER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Management Statement
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1946. Chantries in the Duchy of Lancaster in Norfolk, 1548. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIX pp 201-210. p 206. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wighton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 NW 2 . |
|<S2>||Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1995. Wighton SMR2051. Earthwork Survey Report. |
|<S3>||Illustration: Cushion, B. 1995. Plan of earthworks at Wighton SMR 2051. Film. 1:1000. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1996. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1995. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 397-412. p 411. |
|<S5>||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF291. |
|<S6>||Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF291. |
Related records - none
Find out more...