|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval cross and post medieval town pump|
This octagonal brick structure with stone quoins has a stone conical top that used to support a medieval stone cross. The brazier now in its place was added in 1908. Inside is a Cornish water pump. The handle and outlet for the pump project through a hole in the wall. The pump house dates to the 15th or 16th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9342 3685|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
15 January 1980. Visit.
Octagonal structure of brick with stone quoins. Conical top, apparently of stone, supports an octagonal shaft, originally the base of a cross but now supporting a brazier added in 1908. Wooden door (?original, recent hinges) to interior. Large iron handle projects through hole in wall, as does water outlet. Apparently late 16th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 January 1980.
Walsingham Museum dates the structure to the 15th century. Presumably the cross shows that it is pre Reformation but the brickwork is not of usual medieval type. Perhaps early 16th century. The cross fell off during Mafeking celebrations.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 November 1982.
15 October 1997. Interior surveyed.
Only item of note is a central Cornish pump; otherwise nothing to be seen except interior face of brickwork, identical to exterior.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 October 1997.
- CROSS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. [Illustration of the town pump at Walsingham]. 20 May. |
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF31. |
|---||Article in Serial: Warner, J. L. 1856. Walsingham Priory - a Memoir read at the Meeting of the Archaeological Institute in Cambridge June 1854: with an account of recent discoveries. The Archaeological Journal. Vol XIII pp 115-133. pp 117-118. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. Scheduling Report. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 NW 37 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 600. |
|---||Article in Serial: Hart, R. 1864. The Shrines and Pilgrimages of the County of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VI pp 277-294. p 293. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsingham (Little). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CBY 22. Common Place, Walsingham.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...