|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
A Roman brooch, Roman pottery, Late Saxon and medieval pottery, a medieval strap fitting and a Boy Bishop token, dating from the late 15th or the early 16th centuries, found by fieldwalking and metal detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 71 15|
|Parish:||EAST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Surface finds in fieldwalking in two squares, 14 x 10m and 20 x 24m..
Plan in file.
1) Larger square produced tap slag, oyster shell, 43 medieval sherds, 18 Roman sherds including 1 Nar Valley or Pentney mortarium, 1 Samian, 1 rusticated decorated Nar Valley; 10 sherds not yet dated.
2) Smaller square to north produced tap slag; oyster shell, 36 medieval sherds including 6 Grimston of which 3 where green glazed; 6 Roman including one sherd Much Hadham colour coated and one sherd white painted.
3) 7 sherds not yet identified.
Material not seen; information from .
E. Rose (NAU) 22 March 1984.
See NHER 3764, Roman/Middle Saxon sherds 'opposite' church.
January 1998. Metal detecting finds.
Roman, Late Saxon, medieval sherds.
Medieval strap end.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 27 February 1998.
Before April 2000. Metal detecting.
Boy Bishop token, Groat, see (S1).
Outer reverse legend identified this as Series IC.
Obverse; Mitred bust inclined right, S to l., N to r. PIE.NICHOLAE.ORA.PRO.NOBIS:
Reverse; outer: VOS.VO CASTI SME:E CCEAD, inner: ECCE SAIE DOSM A??S
Dating to between 1475 and 1539.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 24 April 2000.
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Undated)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Rigold, S. E. 1978. The St Nicholas or 'Boy Bishop' Tokens. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Vol XXXIV Pt 2 pp 87-101. |
Related records - none
Find out more...