Record Details

NHER Number:20143
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Guiltcross Union Workhouse

Summary

The remaining two-storeyed Georgian facade is the southwest corner of a what was a large workhouse with a 'cross-within-a-square' plan. Guiltcross Union House was built in 1836 and housed 200 families in separate male and female wards. In 1916 it became an Institution for Mentally Defective Boys. It was used to house German prisoners of war during World War Two. Most of the building was demolished before 1953.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0193 8464
Map Sheet:TM08SW
Parish:KENNINGHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

In ruins; two storeyed Georgian facade to road.
E. Rose (NAU), 13 March 1984.

Grid reference corrected from information from [1], confirmed by (S1) which shows that present building is only the southwest corner of a very large layout, 'cross-within-a-square' plan with central octagonal hub, i.e. like Pulham Market except that has a polygonal outer range rather than square. Demolished some date before 1953.
Information from B. Yates (Gressenhall Rural Life Museum) and R. Rickett (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 28 May 1986.

Built 1836 at cost of 4727 pounds. Guiltcross Union house. 200 families split up into separate male and female wards. In 1916 an Institution for Mentally Defective Boys, later housed German prisoners of war.
Information from Breckland District Council.

Monument Types

  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval to World War One - 1836 AD to 1916 AD)
  • CHILDRENS CARE HOME (World War One to World War Two - 1916 AD to 1939 AD)
  • PRISONER OF WAR CAMP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM0184 A,B.
---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service