Record Details

NHER Number:2007
Type of record:Monument
Name:Sculthorpe Airfield

Summary

The airfield was built in 1942, and was used by the Free French Air Force during World War Two, as well as the Royal New Zealand and Australian Air Forces, and the United States Army Air Force. After the war, the airfield became one of the biggest American airfields in the country, until the base was closed in 1992. The runways and a variety of buildings are visible on aerial photographs, and a Neolithic polished flint axehead has been found on the site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 859 312
Map Sheet:TF83SE
Parish:DUNTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
TATTERSETT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1942.
Free French, RAF, USAAF; gliders, still in sporadic use.
E. Rose (NAU).

More detailed information given in (S1).
Constructed 1942 to 1943.
Free French use ceased in 1943.
RAF occupation 1943 to 1944 when field rebuilt for USAAF.
Base did not reopen until December 1945.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 March 1993.

5 July 1994. NLA aerial photography.
Images show existing buildings and roads in centre of airfield and parchmarks of former buildings and roadways.
M. Brennand (NLA) 12 February 2001.

In 1967 the USAF took over the airfield again. Regular use ceased in 1983, and the airfield officially closed in 1992. Today it is part of STANTA and is regularly used by Army Air Corps and the RAF.
For further information on the operational history of the airfield and photographs of remaining buildings, see (S2).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 January 2010.

Finds previously recorded under this number are now recorded under NHER 53771.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 January 2010.

In 1952 and 1954 USAF RB-45Cs of the 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Wing flew two nightime radar reconnaissance missions ("Operation Jiu Jitsu") deep into Russia to identify possible targets in the event of the escalation of hostilities during the Cold War. Their US markings were removed and replaced by RAF insignia (S3).
D. Gurney (HES), 15 November 2013.

Monument Types

  • ACCOMMODATION HUT (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
  • AIRMENS QUARTERS (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
  • BLISTER HANGAR (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
  • MILITARY BUILDING (World War Two - 1942 AD to 1945 AD)
  • CONTROL TOWER (World War Two - 1944 AD to 1945 AD)
  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Cold War - 1967 AD to 1992 AD)
  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Modern - 2004 AD? to 2004 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1977. Railroader (letter to the editor). 23 June.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Only birds fly at historic airbase. 25 September.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Time runs out for US base that faced heat of Cold War. 1 October.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. Disused air base going to Army, not industry. 2 May.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Rural tranquillity hides deadly secret. 15 December.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Article in serial: 1973. Airfields of Norfolk and Suffolk. Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. Part 1. vol 7, pp 13-15.
<S2>Monograph: McKenzie, R.. 2004. Ghost Fields of Norfolk. pp 87-90.
<S3>Website: 2013. Op Jiu Jitsi.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service