|Type of record:||Building|
The sluice was first built by Vermyden in the 1650s, but the present structure was built in 1834 by Sir John Rennie, before being enlarged in the 1920s. The sluice forms part of the flood defence system that protects the Fens from flooding.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5878 0100|
|Parish:||DENVER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
First established in 1652.
Present structure of 1834 in perfect condition, but not visible below water line except when drained in 1983.
Brick chambers remain intact.
Sluice gates replaced about 1960, replaced again 1983.
E. Rose (NAU) 21 November 1983.
November 1984. Listed, Grade II.
1834 building by Sir John Rennie.
Enlarged 1923, new gates 1928 as well as above dates.
Four arched bridge of brick finished with ashlar piers of which outer two project north and south to form locks.
See (S1) for full listing description.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 July 1985.
(S2) states that the first sluice had five channels, two of which were locks, with doors that opened outwards, (i.e. downstream) set each side of an earth dam, as given in a description of 1650.
The use of the term sluice in the Fens to mean a lock rather than a wier has caused the misconception that boats could no longer pass this spot; however, it is true that the establishment of the sluice meant that upstream navigation had in future to be by small lighters rather than large ships.
The sluice partly collapsed in 1713.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2003.
- CANAL LOCK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SLUICE GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF5800 J,K,M, TF5801 A-B,N-Q; TF5901 A-E. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Lynch-pin of Fens reopened. 7 June. |
|---||Serial: 1971. Geographical Magazine. Geographical Magazine. April. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Environment Agency. The Denver Complex: The story of the drainage of the Fens, the Ouse flood protection scheme and the Ely Ouse Essex water transfer scheme.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Pushing the boat out to lure tourists. 7 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Project could open gates to commerce. 18 November. |
|---||Serial: Labrun, E.A.. 1994. Civil Engineering Heritage, East and Central England.. p 89. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. River challenge in spotlight. 19 July. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 280-281. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CXY 3. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077851. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Chisolm, M.. 2003. Conservators of the River Cam.. PCAS. pp 196-197. |
Related records - none
Find out more...