|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Quarles deserted medieval settlement and church|
Quarles deserted medieval settlement and church are recorded in the Domesday Book and in the 14th and 15th centuries but it was ruined by 1571. Only one flint wall foundation of the church now remains.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8842 3845|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Quarles deserted settlement and church.
Ruined by 1571. Village was mentioned in (S1) and (S2), but had gone by 1713. (S3) says that Quarles means 'circles'.
5 October 1977. Visit.
Only one flint wall foundation 60cm (2 feet) high 90cm (3 feet) wide and about 4.5m (15 feet) long, but overgrown with bushes. No trace of village, though farmworkers say that 'bricks and things' have been ploughed up nearer the farm. E. Rose (NAU), October 1977.
1332. 31 taxpayers in Quarles with Egmere.
1428. 10 householders.
1368. Inventory of Church Goods.
Information from (S4).
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 19 July 1990.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 126; p 53. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: Batcock, N.. 1962. IV. 4. Quarles.. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Quarles folk had their pick of two churches. 10 June. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsingham (Great). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum. |
|<S3>||Publication: Ekwall, E.. 1960. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Placenames. |
|<S4>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 83 NE 2 . |
Related records - none
Find out more...