|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Beechwood House and The Cottage, Great Hockham|
This house stands on the site of a medieval guildhall recorded in old documents. The current timber framed house was built in the 16th or 17th century as an open hall. A brick and flint cottage was added to the east end around 1800. The Gothick south facade, flooring over the hall and division of the building into three cottages happened around 1850. This new upper floor had a separate entrance and was later used as a public reading room. The rest of the hall was floored around 1970.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 9529 9242|
|Parish:||HOCKHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of medieval guildhall. No remains of this in present building (despite earlier claim to the contrary). Present house timber framed, 16th/17th century, apparently an open hall, unusually built with an integral stack. Good spiralling staircase remains. Brick and flint cottage added about 1800. Gothick south facade, flooring over hall of hall and division into three cottages around 1850. Later a reading room. Remainder of hall floored about 1970. Now two properties, Beechwood House and The Cottage, latter is 1800 part.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 July 1986.
- GUILDHALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Davison, A.. Great Hockham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...