|Type of record:||Building|
This farm and farmhouse date to the medieval/post periods. The farmhouse was built in the 16th century. A wing was added during the 17th century and renovation work was carried out in the 18th and 19th centuries. The adjacent farm buildings are all 19th century and include shelters, possible stables and a cart shed.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1333 0509|
|Parish:||GREAT MELTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
16th century open hall house with three trusses on arched braces. Floor inserted about 1600 with brick gable and chimneystack with octagonal chimneys. Axial chimneystack later 17th century. Walling replaced by brick in 18th century. Larger wing added in 17th century with many stopped and chamfered doorframes. Carved spiral staircase. Original roof. Stepped south gable and double pediments over windows. Three massive chimneystacks at rear. 19th century windows and north gable dated 1896.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 17 June 1983.
University of East Anglia farm survey (S2) of 19th century farm buildings in file.
Farmhouse: East to west wing built late 16th century. North to south wing built early in 17th century.
Farm buildings include shelter sheds, possible stables and a cart lodge which may have also served as barn.
D. Robertson (NLA), 17 January 2006.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- CART SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- STABLE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
- SHELTER (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: University of East Anglia. Farm Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
Related records - none
Find out more...