Record Details

NHER Number:1925
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Great Barwick church


Fragmentary remains of this church can be seen about 0.2m above ground level. It may date back to the 12th century, but this is uncertain. The village that surrounded it was deserted in the medieval period (see NHER 1923).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8045 3521
Map Sheet:TF83NW

Full description

Site of church (Ordnance Survey) - Great Barwick Church. (S1) 's account of Little Barwick contains some confusion with this church - see NHER 1924.

August 1983. Visited, see (S2).
Foundations of a church sized building aligned east to west remain under pasture to a height of about 0.25m, presumably Great Barwick church.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 August 1983.

(S1) is confused. Little Barwick never had a church, see (S3). He states church in decay in 16th century; had chancel, nave, south porch and west tower. Foundations and some gravestones were visible about 1900.
This information must refer to this site, Great Barwick Church.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 February 1985.

Appropriate section from (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 83 NW 5 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Barwick.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 111; p 53.
<S3>Article in Serial: Beckett, G. 1984. The Barwicks: One Lost Village or Two?. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt I pp 51-53.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service