|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||'The Ovens' medieval moated site|
This medieval moated site is recorded by the Ordnance Survey on maps. Inside the moat is a pattern of banks probably representing a rectangular building. Fragments of medieval pottery and daub were found. There used to be a hydraulic ram in the southeast corner of the moat.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0074 1195|
|Parish:||DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Moated site partially shown by Ordnance Survey as property boundaries.
January 1993. Visit.
Complete rectangle apart from northeast corner which is missing. Inside are pattern of banks about 75cm (2 feet 6 inches) high suggesting walls of rectangular building east to west. Grimston green glazed sherd and daub fragments found inside enclosure. Daub fragments, unglazed finger tipped medieval base. Grimston green glazed sherd found just outside moat on north side. Site overgrown with rough grass in centre, and neglected scrubby woodland on east, west and south, encroaching onto moat platform. Local sources suggest site known as 'The Ovens' and have in past noted a brick arched culvert on south side and knew of an hydraulic ram in southeast corner of site, serving Borrow Hall, some 300m to west.
B. Cushion (NLA), 27 January 1993.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HYDRAULIC RAM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...