|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Norwich Road Methodist Church, Holt|
An excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture by Thomas Jekyll, this church dates to about 1860 and is built of red and white brick with blue flint. It consists of a tall nave and chancel in one, the nave with an aisle. On the northeast corner is a turret with sloping rows of slit windows lighting the stairs, above which is a polygonal belfry topped by a spire. Late 20th century alterations included installing a wall across the back of the interior to provide meeting rooms and the addition of a false ceiling.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0765 3864|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built in about 1850. Red and white brick, and blue flint.
Tall nave and apsed chancel in one; aisles; north-east turret. Nave has clerestory.
Chancel has large Y-tracery windows above rows of lancets. Turret has sloping rows of slit windows on stairs, beneath polygonal belfry with lancets and circular windows below, and spire above. Ornamented churchyard wall.
By Thomas Jekyll, excellent example of Gothic Revival.
Churchyard cleared and other alterations threatened.
Newspaper cuttings (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 March 1983.
April 1983. Listed, Grade II.
1862 by Thomas Jekyll of Norwich. Yellow brick and flint with red brick dressings. Steeply-pitched plain-tile roof. Polygonal apse at E. end. Octagonal turret on N. side with steep slate roof. One and two-light windows with arched heads with 'plate' tracery. Drip moulds over upper windows. Moulded brick eaves.
Information from (S2).
H. Mellor (HES), 22 June 2017.
However, Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey (S3) say built in 1863 on site of kitchen garden of Hill House. Listed (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 27 February 1998.
Describes Free United Methodist Chapel, built in 1862 by Thomas Jekyll. The interior was Polychromatic and had a large plate-traceried rose window to the rear of the building.
See (S4) for further details.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 18 October 2012.
Methodist church is celebrating 150 years of worship, between 1982 and 1988 alterations had been made to the church such as a toilet and kitchen were fitted, the most recent refurbishment was the school room at the back of the church which was demolished and Loades Hall was built in its place for the community.
See (S5) for further information.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 18 April 2013.
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1862 AD to 2100 AD)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1862 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 555-556; Pl 100. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983-1984. [Articles on the interior changes at Norwich Road Methodist Church, Holt]. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373766. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 246. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2013. Landmark year for church. 15 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...