|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval timber-framed house, 134 and 135 Victoria Road|
A medieval timber framed house, which may be a open hall house dating back to the 15th century. The house had been divided into two. It has now been demolished to make way for a supermarket extension.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1192 7952|
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Originally one house, No 134 has massive woodwork and windows suggesting a 15th or early 16th century date.
Possibly a hall house but unclear.
A massive timber ceiling beam suggests that the building have begun as an open hall house. Opposing doorways suggest the presence of a screens passage.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 February 1983.
2005. Building demolished to extend supermarket.
E. Rose (NLA), November 2005.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...