Record Details

NHER Number:18608
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible Neolithic flint mines and medieval church, Little Massingham


Soils marks of possible Neolithic flint mines can be seen on aerial photographs. Fieldwalking on part of the site recovered Roman and medieval pottery fragments and medieval tiles. The field is known locally as Church Furlong suggesting it may have been the location of a medieval church. Faint traces of masonry have been recorded here.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 776 232
Map Sheet:TF72SE

Full description

28 March 1972. CUCAP air photography. References. BHR 5, 6 and 7.
Soil marks. Possible flint mines?
D. Edwards (NAU), 22 December 1982.

September 1988. Fieldwalking. North part of area of cropmarks.
Roman greyware sherd and samian sherd.
Four Roman coarsewares and two others Roman or medieval.
Two medieval peg tiles.
Three glazed red earthenware.
A. Rogerson (NAU), 5 October 1988

Field once known as Church Furlong according to [1].

Grid reference TF 7766 2316 is Context 2, approximate position of fragments of masonry reported by [2]. Field under crop, but area in question not ploughed and is grass covered. [2] reports that locally suspected as church site - Note name Church Furlong. Seen from public road only. Possible road line on aerial photographs TF 7723 B and C passes just north of location.
B. Cushion (NLA), 14 July 1994.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Unknown date)
  • ROAD (Unknown date)
  • FLINT MINE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 7723B,C,D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service