Record Details

NHER Number:18405
Type of record:Building
Name:The Gables, formerly Church View, The Street

Summary

A post medieval T-shaped house. The north to south wing dates to the 16th century, with a 19th century upper storey and other later additions. The east to west wing was added in 1781, when the building became the workhouse for a group of seven parishes. The workhouse closed in 1836 after which the building became a school with housing. In 1933 part of it was converted into a bakery. Later uses of the building include a blacksmith's shop and a garage.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0469 2089
Map Sheet:TG02SW
Parish:BAWDESWELL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

December 1951. Listed Grade II.
Listing Description:
House, formerly a workhouse, then school, then bakery and shop. Main wing of 1781 (White's 1845), cross wing C16. Cross wing of galletted flint and brick dressings and brick heightening. Main wing of brick. Pantile roofs. 2 storeys. Cross wing with 2 simple C19 4-bay shop fronts with pilasters incorporating a panelled door to east. South shop front set between original brick keyed window jambs. Similar quoins. One C19 3-light chamfered mullion and transom window to first floor south. West facade of 3 bays of late C19 sash windows with stucco rustication. C18 or C19 hipped roof. Main wing with 3 bays of C19 3-light chamfered mullion and transom windows set into original openings. Skewback arches with cambered soffits to ground floor windows. Off-centre front doorway with pilasters overlapping architrave and dentilated frieze. Interior of cross wing with 2 double ogee moulded bridging joists with straight stops.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (HES), 19 September 2017.

1998. Field observation.
Formerly Church View.
Began as 16th century single storey and attic house. Large extension constructed as workhouse 1781. Upper storey added to original house after 1842; workhouse closed in 1836, after which main block also converted to housing. Complete intact blacksmith's shop at rear, also relics of use as bakery in 1930s.
Chain in attic may be connected with punishment room of workhouse.
See report (S2) for further details.
Photographs (S3) to (S5), copy watercolour (S6), architectural plans (S6) and correspondence (S8) in file.
E.Rose (NLA), 27 April 1998.

As of 1997 the forge is mostly complete with tools and machinery still in place.
The Gables, Bawdeswell by Mary Manning
NIAS records (S9)
W. Arnold (HES), 20 December 2010.

Monument Types

  • BAKERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INHUMATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SLAVE CHAIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 381.
---Photograph: 1996. Photographs of The Gables, The Street, Bawdeswell.. Colour.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077391.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1998. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Photograph: CCC 10..
<S4>Photograph: Rickett, R.. The Gables.
<S5>Photograph: Rickett, S.. The Gables.
<S6>Illustration: Reeve, E.. 1846. South-west view of Bawdeswell Church.
<S7>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S8>Correspondence: Lodey, J.. 2007. Email to E. Rose (NLA). 21 April.
<S9>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service