|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a windmill|
A low mound survives in an arable field. This is the site of a windmill recorded in medieval and post medieval documents. Prehistoric worked flints, medieval pottery and fragments of millstones or quern stones have been collected from its surface and in the surrounding area.
Images - none
North of parish boundary, east of lane.
On slight rise about 30m across.
Scatter of medieval pottery.
Seen during Fransham fieldwork and not collected.
Adjacent field in Fransham parish is devoid of pottery of this date.
A. Rogerson (NAU), July 1982.
This is the site of a windmill.
Casual collection of smaller finds.
Prehistoric worked flints.
Medieval lava quern/millstone fragments.
See (S1) in file.
A.Rogerson, 19 November 1998.
- WINDMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDMILL MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rogerson, A.. 1998. Site visit notes. |
Related records - none
Find out more...