|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval chalk mine under the Old Smithy|
Large tunnels and chambers with mid 19th century brickwork were discovered when a hole for a car inspection pit was cut in the floor of the Old Smithy. These tunnels were probably used for mining chalk and flint.
|Grid Reference:||TF 9445 3760|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Found under smithy when cutting hole for car inspection pit (which has reused medieval masonry in walls).
Chalk mine? Large tunnels and chambers with brickwork of mid 19th century type.
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 February 1982.
- DENE HOLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: BZS14 to 16. Interior of the Old Smithy.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CBS 33. Reused stone in the Old Smithy.. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1982. Site report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. [Articles on the finding and identifying the post medieval chalk mine under the Old Smithy, Walsingham]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...