|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Little Carbrooke deserted medieval village|
Earthworks of Little Carbrooke deserted medieval village have been reported in this field. There are remains of a trackway leading to a ford across a small stream, but no other obvious remains. Examination of the contents of molehills produced no finds. It is unclear if the settlement belonging to Little Carbrooke church was located here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 935 018|
|Parish:||CARBROOKE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Earthworks, said locally to be site of Little Carbrooke deserted medieval village. Visited at request of landowner in advance of bulldozing for drainage. At east end of field is a slightly sunken roadway, grassed, apparently leading to a ford. It used to follow the parish boundary southwards. At west end field the portion of parish boundary marked on (S1) as not following the field boundary runs along an old watercourse. But otherwise the 'earthworks' seem to be only hillwash, drainage and dredgings; amorphous humps and bumps. No finds in many molehills.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 January 1982.
Field is Church Meadow on (S2). Road and ford not marked. Informant reports seeing 'timbers in river' in 1979 here, but not seen by E.Rose on above visit.
- EARTHWORK (Unknown date)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|<S2>||Map: [Unknown]. 1844. Carbrooke Apportionment. Paper. |
Related records - none
Find out more...