|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval well and floor|
In 1981 a post medieval well and floor were uncovered during building work at this location. The floor may have been associated with a stable known to have been on the site in 1953. The well may have been infilled when the stable was built in about 1820. A sherd of 16th to 17th century pottery, a piece of a clay tobacco pipe and fragments of brick were recovered from the well.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3949 0398|
|Parish:||CANTLEY, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
September 1981. Old Rectory grounds.
Well and concrete floor uncovered in building works.
Well lined with concrete like substance, probably hard mortar. About 4.5m (about 15ft) depth to rubble filling.
Probably remains of rectory stables still marked on (S1) 1953.
In well were found:
Part of handle of 16th to 17th century vessel with brown internal glaze.
Clay pipe 19th century?
Fragments of badly made brick.
Handle presumably dropped in from elsewhere when filling well as evidence indicates stables, like the house, date from about 1820.
Finds identified by A. Rogerson (NAU), 21 September 1981.
E. Rose (NAU) and S. Ashley (NAU), 21 September 1981.
- FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...