Record Details

NHER Number:17380
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval wheelwright's oven

Summary

This 19th century wheelwright's oven is built of brick, has a central chimney and a barrel vaulted roof. Wheelwright's premises are marked on the tithe map of 1843 and the oven was used until about 1940.

Images

  • A 19th century wheelwright's oven in East Walton  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7427 1678
Map Sheet:TF71NW
Parish:EAST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1981. Visit. On green north of village.
Wheelwright's oven. Yellow and red brick, about 3m by 2m and 2m high. Barrel vaulted roof supported on iron arched bands. Central square chimney. Clamp irons on side walls. Central buttresses. The very narrow interior could take six tyres and now contains old tools of the trade. Two piece iron door. Wheel plate on ground nearby.
The wheelwright's premises are marked on the tithe map of 1843 (S1).
The oven remained in use until 1940.
Restored 1977 but now in need of further care.
Photographs (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 July 1981.

Since restored again - excellent condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 June 1998.

November 2005.
Mid 19th century.
See (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 14 November 2005.

Monument Types

  • WHEELWRIGHTS WORKSHOP (18th Century to World War Two - 1800 AD to 1940 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 326.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Map: Drane, W.. 1840. East Walton Tithe Map.
<S2>Photograph: BYH 14.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service