|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Summerhouse, Thrigby Hall|
An early 18th century summerhouse designed in 1735 by Thomas Ivory, who also built Thrigby Hall. The building has round-headed arches and stuccoed pilasters. The interior has decorative plasterwork with rosettes and egg and dart mouldings.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4633 1234|
|Parish:||MAUTBY, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Red brick; pedimented above 3 round-headed arches.
Pilasters in stucco.
Reputed to be by Thomas Ivory.
Belonged to hall preceding present one.
At end of long avenue of yew hedges which is stated to have once been 3.6m (12 feet) thick.
Now part of wildlife park.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 27 June 1981.
(S1) states this dates from 1735 by Thomas Ivory.
Brick and stucco. Pantiled roof. 3-bay facade of finely gauged Flemish bond brickwork. Side bays once contained sash windows of which traces survive. Under sills an open balustrade of 5 turned balusters.
Interior: Walls are plastered and raised into rectangular eared panels decorated with rosettes and egg and dart mouldings. Arched blind windows flank north and south sashes and are separated by pilasters: egg and dart motifs continue. Against rear wall is a fireplace now blocked with 20th century brick. King post roof of late 1970s.
Information taken from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 10 May 2006
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG 4612A. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|17377||Part of: Thrigby Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...