Record Details

NHER Number:17018
Type of record:Building
Name:Baptist Chapel, Meeting Hill or Meeting House Hill

Summary

This Baptist Chapel is dated 1829 when it superseded the previous one (NHER 16449). It is a large square-plan red brick building with a pyramid roof in two storeys. The interior is thought to have a raked gallery on three sides on iron pillars and some box pews.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3047 2831
Map Sheet:TG32NW
Parish:WORSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Baptist Chapel.
Dated 1829. Large, red brick, square with pyramid roof. Two storeys, three bays to east with central round-headed doorway and black window over. Sash windows each side. Side walls of two bays with windows. Penthouse at rear.
Good condition.
This chapel superceded the old one to north.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 February 1981.

Listing (S1) notes interior as having raked gallery on three sides on iron pillars, some box pews. Wine glass pulpit.
Large arch to each side of this, blocked when school room added.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 July 1986.

Press cutting in file.

Baptist Chapel built in 1829; this building has brick walls and pantiled hipped with roof wide broad eves. The interior of the building has galleries around three sides that have plain panelled front which are supported by iron columns. There is a contemporary pulpit, opposite the entrance, which is set very high and is supported by a single bracket.
See (S1) for more information.
M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 6 December 2012.

Monument Types

  • BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1829 AD to 2050 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1829 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. pp.275.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service