Record Details

NHER Number:1656
Type of record:Building
Name:Docking Hall

Summary

An early 17th century country house, partially rebuilt by Ewan Christian in the mid 19th century. In the grounds of the house are a medieval effigy and part of a medieval font, said to have come from the abbey at North Creake, NHER 1953.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7672 3683
Map Sheet:TF73NE
Parish:DOCKING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

7 June 1979. Visit.
Docking Hall.
Built in about 1618 and partially rebuilt in 1858.
Originally an E shaped house, the owners claim it was built in 1612 which would fit well.
All that is now visible of the original work is some of the brickwork of the north front, and the chimneystack on the west gable, brick on flint, supporting two octagonal chimneys (restored).
The front of the porch tower and of the northeast wing are of the mid 19th century; the northwest wing had a bay window added which has now been removed.
A bay on the south has also been removed, but all of the south front and the gables over the four recessed bays on the north front, seem to be 19th century.
Many groups of octagonal chimneys, all restored.
All this 19th century work is probably of the 1850s (rainheads in the stable court are dated 1857) and is by Ewan Christian, according to [1], which would fit it as the Christian family owned the hall, later changing their name to Hare.
(S1) states that the hall was partly rebuilt in 1874 as well.
All interiors are Victorian though huge original beams found in repairs under floors.
See (S2) and (S3).

At southeast corner of house on lawn is half of a medieval tomb effigy, head under Gothic canopy, one hand holding staff or crozier, the other holds a possible mitre on chest.
14th century?
On top of this an octagonal font with quatrefoils, and nearby a pillar base.
These were brought from North Farm (0.5 miles north).
Owner thinks they may have originally come from North Creake Abbey.

Kept in hall are a Bronze Age socketed axe (NHER 12928); lead ?font fragment (NHER 13207), chipped Neolithic flint axehead, broken, and other small Neolithic flints from unknown local sites.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 June 1979.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF7636 A-D,F-H.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Docking.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk..
<S2>Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South..
<S3>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records

30502Parent of: Docking Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service