Record Details

NHER Number:16529
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory, Church Hill

Summary

This magnificent Georgian building was designed by Sir John Soane in 1784. It has a five bay form, with three central bays and one in each of the flanking wings. The impressive entrance way features a Doric porch and the roof has a beautiful pierced-rose cornice.
Three large stone statues of a lion, unicorn and coat of arms were housed in the garden of this property. These came from the Royal Hotel, Lowestoft, demolished in 1974 and are said to date to around 1830.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2310 9716
Map Sheet:TM29NW
Parish:SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

3 September, 1980. Site visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Building designed by Sir John Soane, 1784. Five bays, the centre three on a bow and the others in flanking wings attached with sloping roofs, so that the bow stands a storey higher. But the dentiled cornice runs across at the same level, i.e. below the top storey. On north a Doric porch. Very fine building in excellent condition.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1980.

(S1) adds winding staircase and some original plasterwork inside.
In garden to north-west, north of original walled kitchen garden now surround to new rectory, are a stone lion and unicorn and royal coat of arms; where from?
Apparent 3-sided moat shown here on (S2) is in reality only a late garden drain.
Newspaper cutting in file (S3).
E. Rose (NAU) 2 May 1985.

The statues came from the Royal Hotel, Lowestoft, demolished 1974 and said to date from about 1830. They may be returned to Lowestoft.
See (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 July 1990.

10 June 2011. Planning Application.
Partial demolition of existing 1970's extension; provision of new extension.
See (S5).
Z. Dack (HES), 22 September 2011.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STATUE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Ancient and modern winning combination. 3 July.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. [Sale advertisements for the Old Rectory, Saxlingham Nethergate].
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 629-630.
---Article in Serial: Mallalieu, H.. 1989. Old Rectory, Church Hill - Norfolk Double, Huon Mallalieu on the property market. Country Life.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050667.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. [Sale advertisement for the Old Rectory, Saxlingham Nethergate]. 13 September.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. [Articles on the statues in the garden of the Old Rectory].
<S5>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service