Record Details

NHER Number:1643
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Mount

Summary

The Mount has been thought to be a Bronze Age round barrow, a medieval beacon and a spoil heap, but it is most likely to be an 18th century garden feature associated with Docking Hall, NHER 1656, and it is shown on a mid 18th century map of the estate. An excavation carried out in 1971 revealed post medieval building material, which suggests there may have been a building on the mound, perhaps a memorial to the Countess of Leicester, who died in 1775. Before March 2009 fragments of Middle and Late Saxon pottery were recovered from a rabbit scrape on top of the mound.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7619 3666
Map Sheet:TF73NE
Parish:DOCKING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

bronze Age round barrow or post medieval landscape feature?
Reference to 'Barrow near the town of Docking' in (S1) says: 'In a conspicuous situation, perhaps used as a beacon'.
R. R. Clarke (NCM) thought this seemed to refer to the Mount, but he suspected that it was an 18th century landscape feature.
Was (S1) misled or does he refer to some other mound?.
A. Lawson (NAU) also thinks this is a landscape mound.

7 June 1979.
S2 refers to a field 'below the Mount', thus making an 18th century date unlikely.
However such viewpoint mounds were made also in the 17th century and this could be contemporary with the hall (AD 1612), though it is not at all certain that this spot was included in the park at that time.
E. Rose (NAU)

(S3) states that Mount Wood was planted in 1753 and given that name.
The author made a small excavation in 1971 and found building material which he takes to show that a summerhouse memorial to the Countess of Leicester, named Mount Clifford, stood on top.
She died in 1775.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 April 1997.

April 1991.
Situated in a belt of woodland, west of Docking Hall, and immediately northeast of a water tower.
A large steep sided mound about 25m in diameter 3.5m to 4m high.
Covered in ivy, nettles and elder scrub, supporting several ancient yew trees.
To east of summit a depression about 0.75m deep, about 1.50m wide, about 2m long.
No uprooting of trees or animal disturbance.
Site form in file.
H. Paterson (A&E), April 1991.

March 1994.
Mound in good condition.
A little animal disturbance to east, and regeneration of elder to south.
Owner will attend to the rabbit problem, and cut back the elder in the near future.
H. Paterson (A&E), 22 March 1994.

March 1995.
Visited to check effectiveness of Section 17 Agreement.
Mound in good condition with no evidence of rabbit disturbance.
Dead branch on old yew will be cut to lessen danger of uprooting.
Grass cover being established.
H. Paterson (A&E), 17 March 1995.

Management Agreement in file.
E. Rose (NLA)

October 1999.
Mound recently strimmed.
Branch of old yew cut back.
No animal disturbance, except for one small burrow to north.
H. Paterson (A&E), 20 October 1999.

June 2001.
Mound in good condition, recently strimmed.
A conifer has fallen across east slope, no damage to mound.
One large animal burrow to west.
This will be examined by owner and dealt with.
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 July 2001.

May 2003.
Some regeneration of elder to south and north.
A few bare soil patches, some ivy ground cover.
No evident rabbit burrows.
Much nettle growth.
Some dead branches on conifers.
Area will be strimmed shortly, and stability of trees monitored.
H. Paterson (A&E), 11 July 2003.

October 2004.
Mound in good condition, undergrowth cut.
No animal disturbance or fallen trees.
H. Paterson (A&E), 2 November 2004.

September 2007.
Section 17 management agreement renewed. See (S4).
D. Robertson (NLA), 17 October 2007.

Before March 2009. Chance finds.
Middle and Late Saxon pottery found in rabbit scrapings on top of mound.
See list in file for details.
E. Darch (HES), 13 February 2012.

Monument Types

  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BEACON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • Management Statement
  • SHINE
  • Management Statement

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Docking.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Lukis. 1843. Bircham Barrows..
<S2>Map: 1755. Docking Hall.
<S3>Monograph: Hagan, G,. 1975. Dry Docking: being some account of the history and records of a Norfolk village..
<S4>Unpublished document: Norfolk County Council. 2007-2008. Section 17 Management Agreement.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service