|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of wind pump and pumping station|
This is the site of a post medieval wind pump, shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1836. The pump was replaced by a pumping station with an oil driven engine in 1897, and which was demolished in 1959 during the construction of the Relief Channel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5929 0160|
|Parish:||DENVER, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of Park Mill (grinding or wind pump?).
Marked on (S1).
Site now destroyed by Cut Off Channel.
E. Rose (NAU) 18 July 1980.
No records of wind mill, probably a drainage mill.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 February 1982.
(S2) adds: wind pump replaced 1897 by horizontal oil engine driving 5.4m horizontal spindle pump.
Changed to a Gwynne 17hp oil engine at some time before 1950.
Destroyed by construction of Relief Channel 1959.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.
- PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 90.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...