|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval windmills|
A post mill with circular sails is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1836. This is also the site of a tower mill built in 1860. The tower mill was wrecked by storms in 1895 and 1908. It was converted to petrol in 1980 and was dismantled in 1937 when it was assessed to be a hazard to aircraft.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 718 899|
|Parish:||FELTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill. South of Green Lane.
Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 June 1980.
Grid reference corrected 1980 from (S2). Base of brick tower mill remains behind Mill House. This building was dated 1860 and was demolished 1937 as a hazard to aircraft. It was wrecked by storms 1895 and twice in 1908 after which converted to petrol. The mill on (S1) was a post mill only a few yards away with a circular sail. Drawing of both mills in (S2).
(S3) show that the base of the mill mentioned above is only one fragment of a curving wall. The millhouse and outbuildings remain.
E. Rose (NLA) 14 May 1997.
- POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1860 AD to 1937 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Orange, A. J.. 1970. The Story of Feltwell Norfolk. Vol.II. pp.50-54. |
|<S3>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. 1997. |
Related records - none
Find out more...